Propane Training and Exam
When attending Alternative Fuels Safety (AFS) training or taking an exam, the Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC) wants you to have the best chance for success. Please review the following helpful tips on preparing for training or an exam.
Registration is required a minimum of seven days in advance for training or an exam. Walk-ins are not allowed. To register, visit http://www.propane.tx.gov/Register_now. After you register, you will receive email confirmation from the RRC with payment and required documentation instructions.
After you register for training or an exam, you are required to submit payment. All payments are non-refundable. Payment method depends on the location of your training/exam. See the instructions below.
Payments - Training/Exams Taken at AFS Training Facility
Payment for training classes and exams taken at the RRC’s AFS Training Facility in Austin are payable online using credit card or electronic check; or at the training or exam with check or money order. Cash will not be accepted. Checks or money orders payments must be payable to the Railroad Commission of Texas. You can submit payment online at: http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/Payment/view/PaymentFeeCategory.xhtml. You are required to submit proof of payment at the beginning of the training or exam. Failure to provide proof of payment will result in non-admittance to the training or exam.
Payments - Training/Exams Taken Outside AFS Training Facility
Payment for training classes and exams taken outside of the RRC’s AFS Training Facility must be submitted online using credit card or electronic check. Check, money order and cash are not accepted. You can submit payment online at: http://webapps.rrc.state.tx.us/Payment/view/PaymentFeeCategory.xhtml. You are required to submit proof of payment at the beginning of the training or exam. Failure to provide proof of payment will result in non-admittance to the training or exam.
Paying for Multiple Training/Exams
When paying for multiple exams online in a single transaction, ensure that the payment is only used for the number of individuals or number of exams purchased. Any payment discrepancies will result in non-admittance to training or exam.
Continuing Education Credits
When attending training classes for continuing education credit, if your certification has not lapsed, you do not need to provide proof of payment.
LPG Form 16
You are required to submit a hard copy of a completed LPG Form 16, Application for Examination, at the beginning of your exam.
Ensure the information on your LPG Form 16 is correct and legible. We suggest that you type the information using the fillable PDF version of the form. The form is available for download from the RRC website here.
An incomplete LPG Form 16 will not be accepted and will result in non-admittance to the exam. To ensure your form is complete, review the common examples of an incomplete form.
- A blank form.
- Missing your mailing address – Ensure you enter your mailing address; in addition to the company mailing address. Entering the company mailing address where your mailing address should be entered could result in the company receiving a cease-ops notices; instead of you.
- Missing the company’s license number – The number listed identifies the licensee who will receive the certification card and subsequent renewal notice.
- No exam type selected – AFS staff cannot advise you on which exam(s) you should take.
- Wrong exam type selected (i.e. selecting a manager-level exam when taking an employee-level training class).
- Missing your signature.
Auxiliary Aids or Services for Persons with a Disability
Any individual with a disability who plans to attend training or an exam and requires auxiliary aids or services should notify the RRC by replying to the registration confirmation email so that appropriate arrangements can be made. The request must provide proof from a doctor that the accommodation is required due to a medical condition or disability.
All training classes and exams start at 8 a.m. No one will be admitted after 8:15 a.m.
Cell phones and other electronic devices are not permitted during the administration of exams.
AFS offers study guides available for each exam to allow you to prepare in advance. Study guides are available for download below. We encourage you to review the federal and state laws/rules.
This is especially important for employee-level certifications with open-book examinations.
- LPG Safety Rules: lpg-rules_jan-2020.pdf
- National Fire Protection Association 54: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=54
- National Fire Protection Association 58: https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=58
- Code of Federal Regulations 49: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title49/49tab_02.tpl
- Regulations for Compressed Natural Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas: CNG-LNG-regulations.pdf
AFS will provide you the books to be used during open-book exams. You cannot use your own books. When attending a training course, you can use the workbook provided by AFS on exams taken the same day as a training class.